Creative ways to make cardio more fun
If the idea of walking uphill on a treadmill for half an hour makes you want to drop 20kg plates on both of your feet you’ll probably be interested in some more exciting ways to get your cardio in.
Well I’ve got great news…
As someone who is forever looking for more creative ways to trick my body into cardio, I’ve got a list of things you can do instead!
- Put your favourite tunes on and dance around the house for an hour… Bonus productivity points if you make the hoover and mop your dance partner so that the housework gets done at the same time!
- Discover a scenic walking route locally to you, or drive to one and enjoy exploring the outdoors.
- Remember how much fun rollerblading was? Treat yourself to a fancy new set and go cardio while being a kid again!
- Get the skipping rope out and test how many consecutive jumps you can do.
- Take up a team sport
- Find a sparring partner and punch out all your daily stresses
- Go play in the kids playground (tip! Wait until there are no kids there)
- Head to the pool and practice your underwater acrobatics
The best type of cardio is the type that you’ll get done!
Don’t worry about looking for the ‘magic bullet’, there is no ‘one size fits all’ approach to working out, the important thing is that you keep active and you enjoy it.
Also, keep in mind that it’s not just what you do when you’re training. Consider your activity around training sessions to up your cardio.
Can you take the stairs instead of the lift? Can you park further away from your destination? Can you walk instead of drive?
It all adds up so don’t knock the little things!
I’d love to hear any other suggestions for making cardio more fun…